TALBOT2937

My dear Henry

after many changes & much vacillation – in humble imitation of Ld Althorpe 1 <sic>, we are at last decided to go by Dover, & set out on Saturday – The length of the Passage possibly great sea sickness, certainly much, the necessity of going on a particular day or waiting 3 or 4, counterbalances the advantages of new country & a prettier – added to which from 3 or 4 day <sic> travelling in England, we shall be able to judge how she 2 bears moving & change of Beds &c &c – & can take a lodging for a week at Dover, & have salt water Baths if we find it adviseable – two Packets also sail daily – so we may choose our day Hour, & weather; I hope you approve The expence will be about £40 additional but this cannot be helped, & will be well laid out if it enables us to transport Horatia more advantageously – You will confer an inestimable benefit on us all if you will point out a road that is not quite impassable from Calais to Dijon which is not so dull as the old Abbeville & Beauvais track –

I am very glad to find by Constances 3 Letter today that there is still a chance of your coming to Les Delices 4 – you will be recd with a warm welcome – pray send us a Route – but it must be one you have travelled yourself. –

Yr aff

C. F

W. H. Fox Talbot Esqr M.P
Sackville St
London

Please cite as “TALBOT2937,” in Ɛpsilon: accessed on 5 June 2025, https://epsilon.ac.uk/view/epsilon-testbed/talbot/letters/TALBOT2937