TALBOT9681

Lyme Regis Dorset.

August 1st 1870

My dear Mr Talbot,

Could you give me a decided answer whether you would agree to my proposal that on your making good to me what I have expended on the new Vicarage, I should resign the living. My reason for asking for a specific answer is this: – I have applied for a good many curacies, but all the persons with whom I have corresponded object to my being Vicar of Lacock as they naturally say that there is no certainty of my remaining in the curacy for any time. I have also tried to get temporary duty, but everybody objects to lending their house where there are children.

I cannot afford to continue my engagement with Mr Roach after this month, what I am paying him even in hard cash is more than half the curacies that are now taken with <aridity?>: so that I shall have no difficulty in securing the services of a good man immediately. still if there is any chance of your agreeing to my proposal I should wish to do what may be most agreable to yourself – Still I must say that I think this such a long interval my interest ought to be a little considered. I have waited in a certain degree patiently; but what something must be finally settled now.

Your aff Cousin

Edward P. Nicholl

Please cite as “TALBOT9681,” in Ɛpsilon: accessed on 5 June 2025, https://epsilon.ac.uk/view/epsilon-testbed/talbot/letters/TALBOT9681